Today a crew of Firefighters from Leyland Fire Station came to give us a Fire Safety Talk. Jeff and Jonny talked to us about making a Fire Plan with our parents at home. In school, we all know what to do and where to go, if we hear the fire alarm. Jeff asked the children if they knew what to do at home. Jeff discussed some things for us to think about:
– When hearing the Fire alarm we need to try and get out of the building, safely.
– Check door handles with the back of your hand to see if they are hot, before opening them. The fire might be right outside that room.
– If the door handle is cool, head towards your fire exit – shouting loudly to get everybody out.
– Do not stop to collect anything!
– You may need to crawl out of the building – the smoke rises up so the air near the ground is cooler and clearer so you can see.
– When you are safely out of the building, then call 999 and ask for the Fire Brigade.
– We need to learn our home address so the Fire Brigade can find us quickly and easily.
The children watched a DVD demonstrating what a good Fire Plan looks like and it is their task to talk with parents to make sure a Fire Plan is in place at home.